CASINO LUXEMBOURG – CONTEMPORARY ART CENTRE
Ideally located in the heart of the capital, the Casino Luxembourg holds contemporary art exhibitions with an international programme of mainly younger-generation artists. The art centre houses public spaces with a variety of uses and vocations, combining today’s art with a warm and friendly meeting place: the ground floor, next to a bookshop and a library specialising in contemporary art, has an area dedicated to learning activities and a café-restaurant. The first floor is exclusively used for temporary exhibitions, so artists’ monographs and themed exhibitions are shown here. These are completed by a varied programme of guided tours, conferences, concerts, and workshops.
- Permanent display
As a contemporary art centre, Casino Luxembourg is dedicated exclusively to today’s art and focuses on artistic production, not on the collection of works of art. However, certain artworks – some of them very discreet – have embedded themselves into the building and its environs over the years. Some of them subsequently vanished beneath coats of paint or were victims of sundry renovations. Other clearly luckier ones have survived. Such is the case with Nedko Solakov’s A Wise Thought in a Circle and Jacques Charlier’s La Surface de l’Art. Still other works were specially commissioned for exhibition, which is the case with Zeitgeist: Karl Cobain by Claudia Passeri, Beautiful Steps #10 by Lang/Baumann, and Zäit Wuert by the artist collective LAb[au]. All these works are now part of Casino Luxembourg’s permanent display.
- Temporary exhibitions
Karolina Markiewicz & Pascal Piron – Stronger than memory and weaker than dewdrops
25.09.2021 – 30.01.2022
Curator: Kevin Muhlen
Stronger than memory and weaker than dewdrops, a multimedia exhibition by Karolina Markiewicz and Pascal Piron. It is based on and merges with contemporary poetry to express current affairs in the world, and its history and myths. Myths and abstraction here represent a parallel world through which we can explain even the most impactful stories and facts to ourselves. A world in which we feel and which perhaps allows us to be part of a human community.
Karolina Markiewicz and Pascal Piron’s collaborative work since 2013 creates links between film, visual arts and theatre. The individual person at the centre is part of a human community, oscillating between resignation and hope.
Karolina Markiewicz studied political science, philosophy and theatre and works as an artist, a film and a theatre director. Pascal Piron studied visual arts and works as an artist and film director. Both also work as teachers with high school students with an immigrant background or in exile. Karolina also teaches at the University of Lorraine. Their artistic work ranges from documentary and fictional cinema to virtual reality films, from writing, painting, photography, and theatre and performance. The artistic techniques used are essential and vary according to the topics covered and the stories told.
The “Casino Bourgeois” was built in a central area of the capital by architects Pierre Kemp and Pierre Funck from 1880 to 1882. It soon became a cultural and social hotspot in the city of Luxembourg. In the middle of the 20th century, the State purchased the building and rented it out to the Cultural Circle of the European Communities, founded in 1954. The Casino Luxembourg, hereafter called the “European Foyer”, will remain until the end of 1990 the centre of cultural and social events of the European Community in Luxembourg. During the preparations for Luxembourg, European Cultural Capital 1995, the transformation of the former “Casino Bourgeois” into an exhibition venue was entrusted to Urs Raussmüller. In March 1996, three months after the end of the cultural year in Luxembourg in 1995, the Casino Luxembourg became what it is today: a Contemporary Art Forum.
On the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the Casino Luxembourg – Forum d’art contemporain in 2016, the public spaces on the ground floor and the exhibition rooms on the first floor have been redesigned. Today the art centre houses public spaces with various uses and vocations, combining today’s art with a warm and friendly meeting place.
The Casino was built in 1882 by Luxembourg architects Pierre Kemp and Pierre Funck. In 1959, Luxembourg architect René Mailliet had built the glass and steel pavilion onto the building’s south front, known today as the “Aquarium”. In 1995, the architect Urs Raussmüller transformed the “Casino Bourgeois” into an exhibition space and incorporated the white cubes into it without affecting the historical substance of the building.
The architect Claudine Kaell was entrusted with the mission of the architectural transformation of the Casino’s ground floor in 2016. Her project provided for a more pragmatic and more fluid reorganization of the interior spaces and better accessibility for the public (with an additional entrance on the Boulevard Roosevelt side). The ground floor has a redesigned reception area next to the existing library, exhibition spaces, educational activities space, and a restaurant.
01.1 / 01.11 / 25.12
Bus / Tram
N°12 (Ënneschtgaass), N°13 (Gëlle Fra)